February 4, 2022
The Trucker Freedom Convoy 2022 has been working around the clock for weeks to assure safety and respect for everyone involved in the protest on Parliament Hill, Ottawa. That includes not just the truckers and their support staff, but anyone who attends the rally in any capacity, regardless of their views on the trucker protest. The overarching themes of the protest are Freedom and Love, and they apply to any person irrespective of their views.
Those organizing and involved in the protest have consistently and unwaveringly promoted nonviolence, open-mindedness, love and compassion. Yet sadly there is evidence that there are forces attempting to subvert that message using tactics that are undemocratic and un-Canadian. Examples abound:
- Hotels refuse to renew reservations to those involved in the rally citing full occupancy, yet hotel staff report, confirmed by even casual observation, that the occupancy is barely 25%. Individuals and groups have had to scramble to find alternate accommodation.
- Garbage cans have been removed in the downtown area, so the truckers have set up garbage bags and the city has never been cleaner.
- Organizers received resistance when trying to bring Port-a-potties to the downtown for the public to use.
- Access to public washrooms has been restricted during the protest.
- Resistance to fuel trucks needing to supply truckers with fuel in order to stay warm and functioning.
- In order to maintain public safety, road and sidewalk cleaning has been done by the truckers because the city has not done so.
Despite all of this, those involved in the protest continue to stay positive and committed to Canadian values of freedom, peace and compassion.